At Kent Denver, we encourage our students to grow intellectually, and we provide them with an array of activities. These opportunities allow students to explore their interests and talents.
In order to be ready for the college selection process, Kent Denver students should seek challenges, work hard at their studies, pursue their interests, and enjoy their high school experience.
Kent Denver's College Counseling program empowers students to find the appropriate next step for their continued education and lifelong learning through a process of reflection, research and exploration of options. Here, we work together with students and parents to guide students in the process of finding schools that will further develop their academic and personal growth.
The college counselor’s role is to listen, provide guidance and supply information on all aspects of the process, and, most of all, be a “sounding board” for the student in this important decision. The college search and application process are exciting and involve time and effort. Parents and college counselors play an important role in the process; however, it is the student who plays the primary role.
"I think for most Kent Denver students, it is liberating to know that the student is in control of their own college applications."
- Kent Denver Alumnus
- We offer frequent, small-group classes for juniors beginning in January that cover all aspects of the college search.
- In the fall of the senior year, most work is done one-on-one with the student’s assigned college counselor and through application submission in the fall semester of their senior year.
- We offer a series of topic-specific meetings and programs throughout the year to supplement our College Counseling class.
- We offer touch points and introductory programming periodically in the 10th grade.
- Our counselors regularly meet with students one-on-one, learning about their interests and talents and forming personal relationships.
- College counselors guide students through all aspects of the college search and application process, from researching colleges to developing appropriate college lists, and from completing applications to writing essays, and applying for financial aid.
- Students are expected to be active participants in the College Counseling program.
- We keep parents informed and involved in the college counseling process through written communication, parent information sessions, and individual meetings.
Kent Denver's three, full-time professional college counselors are exceptional educators with extensive experience advising and working with high school students. They are invested in helping students navigate the college admissions process with confidence.