On Saturday, boys' soccer took on 2017 state champs Liberty Common in the CHSAA 3A finals. Thanks to two goals by Pace Billings '20 and outstanding play by the entire Sun Devils' squad, Kent Denver ultimately came away with a 2-1 win. This is Kent Denver's fourth boys' soccer state title in the last five years.
Since the program's first championship run in 2014, Kent Denver has posted an amazing 92-3-3 record while playing in 3A's most competitive league. Coach Arty Smith—along with his assistant coaches and amazing student-athletes—has built an outstanding tradition of excellence, teamwork and sportsmanship. Additionally, Coach Smith was named 2018's CHSSCA 3A Coach of the Year!
This weekend's soccer state title win capped off an outstanding fall for Kent Denver athletics. Other highlights included:
- Field hockey coach Kathy James notched her 300th win—the most ever in the sport in Colorado. The team finished the year with a 13-2-2 record and state semi-finals appearance.
- Jackson Klutznick '19 won the individual 3A state boys' golf title and Sun Devils finished third overall.
- In boys' tennis, William Coors '19 and Casey Klutznick '21 won a 3A State Title at #3 doubles.
- Football went 8-2 on the season and was an undefeated 5-0 in league play.
- Cross Country's young runners saw great improvements over the course of the season and qualified one athlete for the State Meet in October.
- Volleyball finished the season with three wins at the Metro League tournament.
Congratulations to all of Kent Denver's student-athletes, coaches and fans on a fantastic fall!
Photo credit: Dan Mohrmann/CHSAANow.org